BAHAWALPUR/LAHORE: Two more victims of the Ahmedpur East oil tanker fire succumbed to injuries on Sunday afternoon, taking the death toll to 198.
A total of four people passed away today, two at Jinnah Hospital in Lahore and two at Nishtar Hospital in Multan.
According to focal person and director emergency at Bahawal Victoria Hospital, Dr Amir Mahmood, so far eight people have succumbed to burn wounds at Jinnah Hospital, Lahore.
A total of 23 injured were shifted to Jinnah Hospital on June 27. Five of the patients passed away the very next day. At present 12 people are being treated at the hospital of which four are reported to be in critical condition.
JI chief for suo motu notice
Jamaat-e-Islami chief Siraj-ul-Haq on Saturday visited families of the victims of the tragedy in Ahmedpur East and assured them of every possible help. Haq on Saturday visited families of victims in Ahmedpur East and assured them of every possible help.
Addressing media on the occasion, he urged the Supreme Court to take a suo motu notice of the incident.
“Government institutions cannot be relied upon for investigation. The Supreme Court should take suo motu notice and investigate the tragedy [itself],” he said.
The JI chief insisted that many lives could have been saved if the administration had acted responsibly.
“This tragedy occurred due to poverty and deprivation. The government is to blame for the deprivation in this area. Many lives could have been saved if there was a burn centre in Bahawalpur,” he said.
“Both the prime minister and [provincial] chief minister visited here but no burn centre was announced,” he added.
The incident took place on a route of the National Highway on June 25, a day before Eid was to be celebrated in most parts of the country.
A large number of people were charred to death on the spot as the overturned oil tanker exploded. They included passers-by and residents, who had gathered to collect oil that was leaking from the tanker.