Home / News / Pakistan News / Rao Anwar remanded in police custody for 30 days in Naqeebullah killing case | Pakistan

Rao Anwar remanded in police custody for 30 days in Naqeebullah killing case | Pakistan

KARACHI: An anti-terrorism court (ATC) approved on Thursday a 30-day physical remand of suspended Malir SSP Rao Anwar in the Naqeebullah Mehsud killing case.

The APC which transported Rao Anwar to court. Photo: Geo News

he decision came as police escorted Anwar to the court under strict security. 

Anwar, wanted in the extrajudicial murder case, is being held in Malir Cantt amid tight security and was brought to court in an armoured personnel carrier.  

The hearing was held behind closed doors. 

Anwar was taken to the ATC-II after the judge demanded he be presented today. The court’s demand had come in response to a request by Malir SP Investigation Abid Qaimkhani, who asked if Anwar could be produced in the next hearing. But the court dismissed the plea. 

Anwar was named an accused in the extrajudicial murder case of 27-year-old Naqeebullah Mehsud and three others who were killed in a fake police encounter in Karachi on January 13 on Anwar’s orders.

Anwar, after absconding in the case since late January, was arrested on the Supreme Court’s orders on Wednesday after he finally appeared in court and later transported to Karachi. 

The other 10 police officials arrested in the case, including Anwar’s associate DSP Qamar Ahmed, were produced in court today which is hearing the murder case.  

Anwar is also nominated in a case pertaining to the illegal possession of weapons and explosives. 

Mehsuds expect strict punishment 

Talking to the media earlier in the day, the counsel for the elders of the Mehsud tribe, Pir Rehman Mehsud, said the chief justice of Pakistan has played a pivotal role in the high-profile murder case.

Rehman added they were satisfied with the way the court was taking the case forward and expected the accused to be dealt with an iron fist when he appears in court.

Anwar’s arrest, move to Karachi 

After being arrested from outside the Supreme Court, the suspended SSP was brought to Karachi.

Two armoured personnel carriers transported the arrested police officer to the Malir Cantonment Police Station.

Sindh Additional IG Aftab Pathan also accompanied the arrested official who arrived from Islamabad through a private airline’s flight (NL-126) on Wednesday.

A heavy contingent of the police force and Rangers was deployed at Jinnah International Airport in Karachi to secure the premises. Malir SSP Adeel Chandio, along with other police officials, was present at Karachi airport.

Check Also

SIUT’s 50th batch of volunteers awarded certificates | Pakistan

KARACHI: The certificate awarding ceremony of students who partook in the voluntary summer program was …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *